Saturday, September 17, 2016

The Challenge Theory V: Was Evelyn Smith Born A Man Or Woman?

So this is one of the more bizarre theories from the series "The Challenge" that I have ever heard of. In 2006, Bunim/Murray Productions unveiled the 12th season of the "Real Word Road Rules Challenge: Fresh Meat". This season brought 12 alumni from "Real World" and "Road Rules" to Australia to be paired up with a brand new person to the series called "Fresh Meat". The pairs would team up against each other and participate in missions and exiles (the elimination of the show) until four were left (in this case three thanks to the departure of Coral and Evan) to participate in the final mission.

One of the Fresh Meat cast members was named Evelyn Smith from Harrison, New York. She was originally the first female picked in the draft, the first picked overall in the draft and the best female participant on the skills combine challenge that all of the Fresh Meat players partook in. With the first overall pick, Danny Jamieson from the "Real World: Austin" (2005) her and they were immediately targeted along with Wes, Johanna, and Melinda for being apart of the Austin cast, for being allies with each other and for being in relationships with each other (Danny/Melinda and Wes/Johanna). After the first episode, Danny and Evelyn were voted into the first exile against Wes and Casey and lost during an exile on a beach.

Evelyn Smith on Fresh Meat (2006) in Sydney, Australia


After this season, Evelyn went on to appear on six total challenges, go to four total final missions, and win three total challenges. Evelyn has also been a workhorse that has never been afraid to take anyone on, but the one thing that has always bugged me was what her birth gender originally was. Now don't get me wrong, I am not someone who cares about a person's gender and honestly, if you have a sex change operation, then that is up to you and I am not one to judge someone's personal preference. One thing I do know is that she is a lesbian as she did have a challenge fling with Brooke on the "Gauntlet III" (2008) but that is it.

Evelyn on the "Inferno 3" (2007)


Johnny "Bananas" and Evelyn on "The Island (2008)
Paula and Evelyn on "Rivals" (2011)


Now I bring this up because of the many rumors by "The Challenge" alumni that make claims that Evelyn was actually born male. Now I am not here to claim that this is a bad thing or that transgender people are abominations to the human race, I just think this is an interesting topic to talk about. Now I have heard a broad range of opinions of this ranging from "no, she was born a woman" to "I knew her in Harrison, New York and she used to be a dude." I have even run across a source that said that there are three challenge alums that know the truth, but are barred from saying so on camera. I am guessing those people are Johnny "Bananas", Kenny, and Kelly Anne, her best friend. Not to mention, Evelyn has been referred to on the show as being a man or even manlike. However, despite the fact that she has a deep voice, she is strong, has endurance, and has some male features, it is possible that she has always been a woman and just has more testosterone.

My personal opinion is this and I don't want anyone insulted by it, I think she was born a man. The fact that there are people out there who knew her in her past and there is actual manifests of the doctors who could have performed the operation, makes me think that the rumors are true. However, with that said, it doesn't really matter to me what she is or what she isn't, she is a great competitor and wouldn't be the only challenger to be a transgender person. Katelynn from the "Real World Brooklyn" was actually born a man and became a woman and from what I know, she is living a perfectly normal life. I know this because I once ran into her and her male partner at the Fort Lauderdale Airport and she was on my flight to San Francisco. After being on the challenge, Evelyn went to Harvard Law School and is likely pursuing a career in law. If you know anything about this subject or you have personal insight, please, feel free to give it.

5 comments:

  1. I used to hang out with ev when she was 16 yrs old she was born Bradley mcclaren Smith and transgender.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nowayyo! ! ! Best looking chick ever ! !

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was born a man. Her dead name is Brad Smith Jr. I knew her as teenager and she was a total bully just like on the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what she's ev now and my favorite! Bring on the 9th men!

    ReplyDelete